Friday, July 13, 2007

Moving Forward

How odd is it that what is believed to be one of the most unluckiest of days of the year fell within the same week of what was supposed to be one of the luckiest days in a 100 years?

Luck or no luck, I'm moving forward and have made a fantastic mix to celebrate my feeling of freedom. Like all of the mixes I make, the songs have a general theme tying them together. What is different about this mix is that all of the songs are arranged by the lyrics that speak the most to me rather than the flow of music. It was a little experiment, and I have to say I'm quite happy with it.

This is also the first mix I've made for myself. All of my previous mixes were made for friends in need, saying hello or goodbye, and guys that eventually broke my heart. So, without further ado, here is to Moving Forward:

1. So Long - Guster
"Yes I'm blue, but from holding my breath, like I have from the start. I'm the villain and I should confess, I liked you better before."

2. Far Behind - Social Distortion
"Your narcissistic ways have gotten the best of you, so I'm leaving you to sink in all your glory. ... Get out of my way, I've got better things to do."

3. Domino - Van Morrison
"And if you never hear from me, that just means I would rather not."

4. Blacking Out the Friction - Death Cab for Cutie
"I think that it's brainless to assume that making changes to your window's view will give a new perspective."

5. Let Him Fly - Dixie Chicks
"It took a while to understand the beauty of just letting go. 'Cause it would take an acrobat, and I already tried all that. I'm gonna let him fly."

6. Go Ahead - Rilo Kiley
"If you want to hold onto the first girl that you meet, or if you want to settle down and plant roses at my feet, go ahead. ... If you want better things, then I want you to have them."

7. Fidelity - Regina Spektor
"And by protecting my heart truly I got lost in the sounds."

8. Ageless Beauty - Stars
"Cruelty makes its holes, but on the shoreline time will hold its promise."

9. North of Heaven - Edwyn Collins
"Things can only get better. What's around the corner, who can tell? I'll build a little place just north of heaven, I'm kinda tired of living south of hell."

10. The Resistance - Sam Roberts Band
"I was born a restless soul. I never did what I was told. That old fire rages on."

11. I Will Be Free - Nil Lara
"For many years I've been held inside this wishing well."

12. Breakdown - Jack Johnson
"You can't stop wishing if you don't let go of the things that you find and you lose and you know."

13. Free To Decide - The Cranberries
"And I'm free to decide, I'm free to decide."

14. Whatever It Is - Ben Lee
"So wake up and do it. Whatever it is, just do it."

15. Stand - REM
"Think about direction, wonder why you haven't before? Now stand in the place where you work. ... Think about the place where you live."

16. Hands - Jewel
"My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours they are my own. ... In the end only kindness matters."

17. Downhill From Here - The Frames
"So let go of the wheel, and forget how to steer. It's all downhill from here."

18. Someday - The Strokes
"Tables they turn sometimes."

19. She's Got Her Ticket - Tracy Chapman
"And she'll fly, fly fly ..."

20. Sunshine - Matt Costa
"Sha la la la la la la la"
(I have to admit that this last song was really only chosen because it makes me completely happy and giddy - mostly because I have a huge crush on Mr. Costa. But I rationalize this choice by the fact that the whole point of the mix is about moving away from darkness and into sunshine.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I found you!