Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dear Anonymous,

Unlike you, I do not to hide behind a shroud of anonymity. I have nothing to hide. So I am addressing your attacks on my character and intelligence in a public forum.

Yes, I removed your spiteful comment from blog. It’s not because I’m unable to respond, but because you made it on a post completely unrelated to your hateful ranting.

In fact, I find it interesting you decided to attack me on a post about overcoming the physical and emotional side effects of 9/11 and the recent loss of my grandfather. In addition to being blinded by rage, you seem to also lack a certain amount of common decency.

On March 8, 2010, you wrote:
I'm posting a response here to something I saw on facebook. I don't want to reply on facebook for reasons that will become clear when you read this. I think you're a really smart girl, you know that? So smart that you realized a long time ago that you wouldn't have to actually use your brain and learn how to take part in a logical debate, because all you have to do is accuse your opponent of being racist, and (in your mind, at least) you win. As a conservative, I have plenty of ways to logically disembowel Marxism and its numerous noxious contemporary offspring without having to resort to throwing rhetorical sand in my opponent's eye. You, however, don't even make an ATTEMPT at discussion, preferring instead to draw attention from your own ignorance by pointing a finger and crying racist. Let me explain something to you- just because you loudly proclaim (to every man, woman, and child that will listen to you) that you're an Obama supporter, that doesn't magically give you the right to use the race card. Your people didn't spend hundreds of years enslaved only to spend a hundred more as second-class citizens (most of the time, at the hands of Democrats). The most "liberal" thing about you is the use of the race card, and it's not yours to use. See, I AM black. And I wasn't raised anywhere as pastoral as North Dakota. Who do you think you are? You don't know what it is to be black, and if you automatically think conservatives are racist, you're just as ignorant as the people you claim to despise. It makes me sick to see people like you USING my ancestry and the history of my family for political gains. Shame on you.
Response one
I find some of your facts in this comment to be very interesting because it means you’re a friend of mine on Facebook. I know this because my privacy settings are at the highest level, meaning only friends can see what you’re referring to in this rant.

So, not only are you a friend, but you’re a friend who is African American that didn’t grow up “anywhere as pastoral as North Dakota.” This reduces the number of people who you could actually be to a fairly small amount, which makes me suspect you aren’t who you say you are.

I am very protective of who I friend on Facebook. So, I’m fairly certain if you’re indeed someone left in this small pool of people, you wouldn’t have chosen to lambast me anonymously on a public forum such as my blog.

Also, in being my friend, you would know that your argument about my people not spending hundreds of years enslaved as second-class citizens is wildly inaccurate being that I’m Native American. So, if you want to talk oppression. Let’s talk oppression.

Crazy-pants rant kick-off
Furthermore, I believe what you’re referencing as seeing on Facebook is a heated conversation that transpired three days before your comment on my blog. That conversation, much like this one, was also started by an off-topic rant. Only that rant came from a childhood acquaintance named Justin who grew up in North Dakota and has since unfriended me.

In the pursuit of full disclosure, let’s review that heated, off-topic conversation and see the eerie similarities it has with your comments. You'll see I never once played the race card. In fact, the accuser doth protest too much, methinks.

And, for the sake of posterity, here is your most recent comment that I haven’t taken down.

On March 10, you wrote:
Hahaha! I see you removed my comment. Racist. That's typical of a lefty. You can't call me a racist because I'm black, so you quickly delete my post because you have no ammunition. ANYWAY I was having a look at your blog...Do you ever use the words "in my opinion" or "my point of view is" or anything of that sort? You seem to profess on and on as if what you're saying is gospel, without ever exploring the possibility that you're outside the extents of your knowledge.
Response two
Now who’s calling the kettle black? Also, I'd like to point out that being this is my blog and my voice, the words “in my opinion” and “my point of view is” should pretty much be a given.

So Anonymous, whoever you are, here’s your chance. Crazy-pants rant away! The world is watching.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the part where he says "You can't call me racist because I'm black" was where I went oh I see how he can be a birther.

BrokenLantern said...

Just ignore them and keep writing, if you have an angry conservative railing against you, you must be doing something right.

I love the you can't call me racist cause I'm black...does that mean the conservatives can't call Obama racist against white people?

Kay Sterner said...

Nessa,

I can't believe you have had to deal with all of this BS. Your dedication to public service and civil society is inspiring.

Best,
Kay

Unknown said...

(Found your blog through a friend, FYI.)

People amaze me in their stupidity. They really do.

Unknown said...

Also - my mom once said (via Good Housekeeping magazine) that those who rant, rave and otherwise get angry at you are otherwise unhappy in their lives.

And one of my professors also said that if you're getting people angry with your opinion, you're doing something right. :)

Melissa said...

Crazy! Nessa...just crazy. I may not always agree with you...in fact, I quite often don't when it comes to politics...but doesn't this silly, cowardly person understand that we live in a nation that allows us all our opinions AND the ability to voice them? Yours is equally as necessary as his/hers. Liberals, conservatives, moderates, independents...we are all necessary to the system - and it is important that we disagree, sometimes vehemently (it's how responsible changes are made).

Whatever - anyone who takes debate to the level of harassment has completely lost sight of the American Ideal.

Besides - facebook isn't the forum for serious debate...and he/she has no business attacking your blog - it's YOUR opinion - and if he/she doesn't like it, he/she should stop reading. In fact, he/she has no business saying anything to you under an anonymous label - how pitiful and juvenile.

Good luck on this one.

Anonymous said...

Understandably your article helped me truly much in my college assignment. Hats incorrect to you send, intention look forward in behalf of more cognate articles promptly as its one of my choice topic to read.